That being said, the party which they support clearly does not.
Sure, Republicans will talk at great lengths about the endless respect they show for our military and our veterans, but it’s mostly all hollow propaganda.
This is the party whose president lied about the Iraq War, a lie which resulted in over 4,000 men and women being sent to their deaths. A war which produced exactly zero weapons of mass destruction — the whole premise for going to war to begin with. Even after 4,000 American soldiers have been killed and absolutely no weapons of mass destruction were found, George W. Bush still refuses to apologize for his lie that took us to war.
I’m sure many of you remember the GOP presidential primary debate when a gay member of the United States Army was booed by conservatives in the crowd — booing that wasn’t condemned by a single candidate — while he was currently serving in Iraq. These parasites booed a soldier who was currently deployed in Iraq simply because he was gay. That’s bad enough, but then not one single Republican candidate had the courage to condemn the reprehensible response from the crowd.
Then there’s that time when Republicans killed the Veterans’ Job Corps Act that would have provided assistance for the hundreds of thousands of unemployed veterans in the United States.
We also can’t forget the cross the board cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program that will reduce the amount of benefits over 900,000 veterans receive. Oh, and Republicans are also pushing for another nearly $40 billion in cuts to the program.
Or last year when a GOP Senator blocked a cost-of-living adjustment for veterans.
- H.R. 466-Wounded Veteran Job Security Act: A bill that would have prevented employers from terminating veterans who were getting treatment for injuries suffered while fighting for our country.
- H.R. 1168-Veterans Retraining Act: Would have helped veterans find jobs and provide training for them while they sought employment.
- H.R. 1171-Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program Reauthorization: Would have helped homeless vets get back on their feet by providing temporary training for employment and programs to help them get off the streets.
- H.R. 1172: No fancy name, would have just put a section on the VA website of schools currently offering scholarships for veterans.
- H.R. 1293-Disabled Veterans Home Improvement and Structural Alteration Grant Increase Act of 2009: Would have helped those overcoming injuries sustained while fighting for our country improve their living conditions.
- H.R. 1803-Veterans Business Center Act: This would have set up centers veterans could have visited that would have helped them better plan our future employment and business opportunities.
- H.R. 2352-Job Creation Through Entrepreneurship Act: A combination of other bills killed in Congress by Republicans—that was once again killed by Republicans in Congress.
We can’t ignore the Republican-forced shutdown that almost led to the inability of our government to cover disability and pension payments to veterans and surviving spouses, and also will have to halt GI Bill payments for education expenses.
And let’s not forget about the story detailing several states that are forcing members of the National Guard to sometimes drive hours to register for benefits, simply because they’re homosexuals in a same-sex marriage. These states aren’t allowing them to simply register at any military base. Nope. They’re making them register on federal bases because they believe their state has the right to refuse to register members of our military for benefits if they’re involved in a same-sex relationship.
There’s more, but I’ll just stop at that because I believe my point has been made.
On this day, you’ll undoubtedly hear glowing praise from Republicans about the courageous service our veterans have given to this country and the respect they have for all past and present members of our military. Sadly, for many Republican politicians, their voting history tells a much different story.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- 6 Things to Look For in Tonight’s New Hampshire Primary - February 9, 2016
- Samantha Bee’s ‘Full Frontal’ Has Hilarious Debut, Slams “All You Can Eat Crazy” of the GOP (Video) - February 9, 2016
- An Astonishing Breakdown Showing How Much of a Liar Donald Trump Really Is - February 8, 2016