But outside of Texas, what strongly Republican state is a highly desirable place in which to live? And even in Texas, where I live, every major city votes for Democrats in major elections.
Now, I can already hear the Republicans bashing California. California is a very liberal state, and trust me I know it has its problems, but let’s not forget it had a Republican governor during the majority of the Bush years—you know, when it faced such terrible financial woes.
But when you look at states like Louisiana, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, Kansas, West Virginia, South Carolina and Mississippi—these are very poor states. They’re simply not that highly desirable to live in (I’m not saying they’re terrible, and I’m sure there are a lot of great places and people in them, but facts are facts).
For this article I’ll focus on one of the “most Republican” states in the country–Mississippi.
For all the “greatness” of Republican ideology, let’s take a look at Mississippi:
- Ranked last in education
- Took in more federal dollars (when adjusted for how much they paid out) than almost any other state in the country
- Ranked dead last for median family income
- Ranked near the top for rate of divorce
- Ranked last for percentage of citizens with health insurance
- Ranked dead last for average life expectancy
- Ranked first for percentage of people living below the poverty line
- Ranked first for infant mortality rate
Mississippi: One of the “most Republican” states in the country.
So, if Republican ideology is so great, why is one of the “most Republican” states so terrible for its citizens—on almost every level? And why do so many other “strongly Republican” states share this same pattern?Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2013 Forward Progressives
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Dear Conservatives: Facts Prove You’ve Been Wrong About Damn Near Everything - January 16, 2017
- Donald Trump and ISIS Have a Lot More in Common Than His Supporters Want to Admit - January 15, 2017
- 5 Reasons Why I Believe Russia Has Information to Compromise & Blackmail Trump - January 14, 2017