There’s this notion concerning the 2016 presidential election that both choices are terrible and that we’re all simply trying to choose “between the lesser of two evils.” While I know that’s a popular belief among many, the reality of that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Look, I’m not here to claim that Hillary Clinton is a flawless candidate. Just because I proudly support her campaign doesn’t mean that I’m not realistic about the fact that she has flaws like any other human being — especially politicians.
That being said, to claim her flaws are on the same level of Trump’s is not only completely inaccurate, but it’s absolutely ridiculous.
To prove my point, I thought I’d compare some of the top “controversial scandals” surrounding the two candidates.
Let’s start with Hillary Clinton:
- Her emails: While her use of a private server was definitely a bad idea, she’s admitted to that fact and has apologized for it, repeatedly. Furthermore, the FBI carried out an extensive investigation that ultimately concluded that she did nothing illegal. The only reason this became a “story” again is because while looking into the Anthony Wiener sexting allegations, the FBI found emails that may (keyword: may) need to be reviewed to determine whether or not they contain classified material. Though at the end of the day, not only was Clinton not charged with a crime, but there’s been absolutely no evidence where her use of this private server led to any sort of national security issues.
- The Clinton Foundation: While many have tried to make the foundation seem like some international crime syndicate linked to a pay-for-play criminal empire, ultimately, the foundation has an A-rating from a respected charity watchdog group and spends 88 percent of all the money it raises on charitable causes. Oh, and the Clintons don’t actually make any money from the foundation — as they don’t receive a salary.
- Paid speeches: Considering it’s not remotely uncommon for former presidents or politicians to give paid speeches, I’m not sure why this is a big deal. Again, there’s been absolutely no credible evidence that any paid speech her husband gave was linked to any sort of “pay-for-play” scheme while she was Secretary of State.
- “She gleefully helped a child rapist go free”: Nope, she sure didn’t. Not only was she ordered by a judge to defend him (she tried getting out of it), but the guy actually went to prison on a plea deal the victim’s mother pushed prosecutors to offer of 5 years — only to have the judge reduce it to one. The audio of Clinton laughing about the case actually came years later when she was discussing how, even though the guy was guilty, he passed a polygraph — and that forever ruined her faith in the test. She was not mocking or laughing at the victim.
- Benghazi: Here’s another “scandal” that numerous investigations have ultimately concluded wasn’t her fault. Though if you don’t believe me (or the investigations), then ask the family of the late Ambassador Chris Stevens, who’ve publicly said that it’s unfair to blame her for the attack.
- She called “half” of Donald Trump’s supporters “deplorable”: Not only did she immediately apologize for saying this, but she wasn’t really wrong. In fact, “half” is probably underselling how many of his supporters fit into the “basket of deplorables” she mentioned (racists, bigots, sexists, Islamophobic, homophobic, xenophobic).
Now if you think I’m going to entertain the absurd conspiracies about her having multiple people killed, or that I’m going to hold her husband’s issues against her, you’re sadly mistaken. If you’re someone who actually believes that insanity, then you’re clearly someone who can’t be reasoned with.
But those are the main attacks I’ve seen Republicans and the media obsess about throughout her campaign.
Now let’s move on to Donald Trump:
- Mocked a man with disabilities.
- Attacked the parents of a fallen American hero.
- Belittled POWs and the war record of Sen. John McCain.
- Lied about how much money he raised for veterans.
- Called a former Miss Universe “disgusting” and fat, telling his Twitter followers to find her non-existent sex tape.
- Accused an American-born federal judge of being unfit to do his job because of his Mexican heritage.
- Likely avoided paying taxes for nearly two decades.
- Called most Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals, even though that’s not remotely factual.
- Lied about seeing “thousands and thousands” of Muslims celebrating in New Jersey on 9/11.
- Lied about getting a letter from the NFL complaining about the debate schedule.
- Tried to exploit the death of an African American woman in Chicago to say that’s why black voters will support him.
- Found the “bright side” to tragedies because his poll numbers tend to go up.
- Settled with the Department of Justice after his company was found guilty of racially discriminating against minorities.
- Has cheated on at least one wife.
- Was discovered on video admitting that he not only tried to cheat on his current wife, but he attempted to do so with another married woman.
- Had his first wife publicly say that he did nothing when it came to raising their children until they were old enough to talk business.
- Tweeted that women should have expected to be sexually assaulted when they mixed males and females together in the military.
- Said he wants to target the families of terrorists.
- Stated that he wants to ban an entire religion.
- Praised a Russian president who obviously hates the U.S. and Americans.
- Encouraged the Russian government to commit espionage against Americans.
- Insinuated that another Republican’s wife was ugly.
- Tried to implicate another Republican’s father in JFK’s assassination.
- Sought out the help of former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes after he was fired following multiple allegations that he had sexually harassed women for years.
- Made Breitbart’s Steve Bannon one of his top campaign people.
- Had a former campaign manager abruptly resign after a report came out linking him to pro-Russian groups that were directly trying to undermine U.S. policy in eastern Europe.
- Called Carly Fiorina ugly.
- Has said climate change was a hoax created by the Chinese — then denied saying it.
- Was a leading conspiracy theorist when it came to the racist-driven birther conspiracies against President Obama.
- Dismissed nearly eight years of accusing the president of not being an American with a less than 30-second statement where he didn’t apologize for any of it.
- Re-tweeted anti-African American propaganda created by a white supremacy group.
- Played dumb about knowing who former Grand Wizard of the KKK David Duke was.
- Skipped a presidential debate because he was scared of a moderator.
- Called a husband doing things like changing diapers and helping with the children, a man “trying to be the wife.”
- Has said he wants more countries to have nuclear weapons.
- Said he can’t release his tax returns because they’re currently being audited — even though the IRS said that’s a lie.
- Feels he has the right to sexually assault women.
- Is currently battling a fraud lawsuit where victims allege he created Trump University to scam them out of tens of thousands of dollars.
- Used funds raised by his charity foundation to pay his personal legal fees.
- Said that one of the women accusing him of sexual harassment wasn’t attractive enough for him to have assaulted.
- Has a long history of not paying contractors for doing work they had already completed.
- His bankruptcies benefited him, while ultimately leaving many people to which he owed money out to dry.
- Outsources most of his company’s manufacturing jobs to other countries.
- Has said that all the women accusing him of sexual assault are liars.
- Refused to say if he would concede the election if he loses on November 8th.
- Allegedly asked military advisers why we can’t use nukes since we have them.
- After being told that our security experts know that Russia is behind the hack of the DNC and American citizens, continued to deny that they knew anything, effectively defending and taking the word of Russia over believing and trusting our own intelligence agencies.
- Once said that women who have abortions should be “punished.”
- Alluded to the size of his penis during a presidential debate.
- Mocked the looks of Ted Cruz’s wife.
- Was accused of planting a fake story in the National Enquirer concerning Ted Cruz having multiple affairs.
- Currently has a court date set for allegations he sexually assaulted a 13-year-old.
- Claims he’s donated millions to charity but refuses to prove it.
- Called Hillary Clinton a “nasty women” when she factually called him out for tax evasion.
- Evidence seems to indicate that he bribed the Florida attorney general to avoid the state joining the fraud lawsuit against Trump University.
- Has admitted to trying to buy off politicians.
- Following his meeting with the Mexican president, he lied about being told that there was no way Mexico would pay for his wall.
- Has repeatedly advocated for committing war crimes.
- Said he knows more about terrorism and the Middle East than our generals.
- Has repeatedly said that our NATO allies are going to have to “pay up” for our protection.
- Said more countries should have nuclear weapons — then denied saying it.
- Has, on several occasions, suggested he finds his daughter attractive.
- Tried to blame Hillary Clinton for his racist birther propaganda.
- Said, with a straight face, that nobody has more respect for women than he does.
- During an interview said that “a flat-chested woman can never be a 10.”
- Asked how stupid the people of Iowa could be for supporting Ted Cruz.
But, please, tell me again how “both candidates are the same” and they’re “equally as flawed.” Because if that’s what you really believe, then you’re choosing to ignore reality and believing whatever the hell you want to believe.
Copyright 2016 Forward Progressives
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Dear Conservatives: Facts Prove You’ve Been Wrong About Damn Near Everything - January 16, 2017
- Donald Trump and ISIS Have a Lot More in Common Than His Supporters Want to Admit - January 15, 2017
- 5 Reasons Why I Believe Russia Has Information to Compromise & Blackmail Trump - January 14, 2017