Quantcast

Can We Please Stop Allowing Southern States to Ruin This Country?

southern-idiotsSometimes liberals joke that we should have just let the South secede and become their own country because we would have been much better off.  And while I know that’s not literally true (though I’m sure some will argue that it is), history tells us that in this country we’re constantly held back from progress by these Southern states which thrive on ignorance.

First we had slavery.  The Southern states nearly ripped this country apart just so that they could continue to own other human beings and deny African Americans their freedom.  This country literally fought a civil war because of the South.

I always found it ironic that the states fighting to keep slavery claimed to be “defending their Constitutional rights.”  Only in an ignorant, delusional mind could you want to secede from a country (of which you claim to be an avid patriot) because that very same Constitution you claim to hold so dear doesn’t support your ignorance.

But isn’t that the argument they always use?  “I’m standing for my Constitutional rights!”  Because, well, they believe that our Tenth Amendment somehow gives their states the right to violate the Constitution.  Which it doesn’t.

But then next up was women’s suffrage.  And while it wasn’t just Southern states which opposed it, until women were finally given the right to vote, it was illegal for women to vote in every Southern state and they strongly opposed giving women voting rights.

Then, of course, segregation.  Another little “gem” from our history that we look back on today with utter disdain that Southern states overwhelmingly supported.  Once again, our nation tried to move forward – and Southern states tried to hold us back.

Same thing goes for interracial marriage when Southern states claimed “states’ rights” once again, with many saying that it was against their religious beliefs to “allow the mixing of the races.”

Now days it’s the fight for gay rights and same-sex marriage that has Southern states up in arms claiming the same nonsense they have for over 150 years.  Forcing them to recognize same-sex marriage, or give homosexuals equal rights, is – you guessed it – a violation of their religious freedoms and states’ rights.

Enough is enough.  I’m sick and tired of these backwards, knuckle-dragging Southern states constantly holding this country back.  Every time we try to make a bold move and move this country forward, we have to battle with people who long for the days of segregation, women being barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen and a gun holster on everyone’s belt.

It’s no wonder most of these people don’t believe in evolution.  It’s been over 150 years since the civil war and somehow generation after generation of people within these Southern states remain just as ignorant today as they were back then.


About Allen Clifton

Allen Clifton is from the Dallas-Fort Worth area and has a degree in Political Science. He is a co-founder of Forward Progressives, and author of the popular Right Off A Cliff column. He is also the founder of the Right Off A Cliff facebook page, on which he routinely voices his opinions and stirs the pot for the Progressive movement. Follow Allen on Twitter as well, @Allen_Clifton.

  • Executivesouthernwoman

    We are ignorant in the south? Calling a whole region of the country ignorant, shows your lack of tolerance. It also is predjudice to call all of us ignorant. Thus making you the exact thing you claim to dislike.

    As a southerner, I am none of the things in your article. Your anger and ignorance shows how uninclusive you truly are. You think that you are a modern thinker, but you are just as bad as the people you are talking about.

    I feel very sad for you. Your life must be miserable.

    • Sue Roediger

      Please explain how he is wrong. Yes there are many in the South who are different from those Allen writes about……but apparently too few to have any rational influence on the others.

  • StarDagger

    Well said!

  • Ileene

    This is a fairly “ignorant article”, seriously if you think we are all so damn dumb and evolutionary backwards..then quit moving here..I’m Texas proud

  • Tennvol

    You folks need a history lesson,The South did not secede on the account of slavery,,yes there were slaves in the south,,but also in the north,,the south seceded over tarrifs and taxation un fair to the more agricultural states,you need to read some history from the times,,not the hog wash written in the past 145 years which is only someones oppinon, fact is less than 5% of the households in the southern states in 1860 owned a single slave,,so why would the other 95% go and fight so his neighbor could own slaves??? educate yourselves with facts, not lies from tv